Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A hump-day meme

Thanks for tagging me with a meme Sara, I feel like one of those cool bloggers now, (don’t worry, I promise I won’t get a big head). I’m actually truly thankful for it, because I wanted to blog today but I was feeling very uninspired. Three cheers for unexpected inspiration!

10 years ago... I was about a month away from turning 14. Hmmm… in June of 1995 I had just graduated from 8th grade and was finally leaving my Catholic school roots! I was excited about heading off to High School the next year, but I was definitely still a huge dork. I had relatively short hair, it was permed, and I scrunched it up with so much gel that it looked wet all the time. Gross. That’s something I wish I didn’t remember.

5 years ago... I had just finished up my first year in college, and I was back at home, trying to catch up with all my high school buddies that I couldn’t imagine not staying in touch with. (Ask me how many of them I talk to still today.) I spent most of my time that summer with my two best friends Lisa and Angela, who are still today, the best friends a girl could ask for. I would do anything for those two, and I know they feel the same. (Love you guys!) Oh, and my hair? God, that year I got a ridiculous haircut that will forever be known as the “Triangle Cut”. Not quite as bad as the gelled wet perm circa 1995, but it comes close. It made my head look huge actually, and I can’t really remember, but I like to think I spent that summer growing it out. Actually, by June, it was probably, for the most part, grown out, but when I think of that year of my life, I can’t get that image out of my head, so it must be worth mentioning.

1 year ago... I was a newlywed! Last summer was crazy, we had about 8 weddings to go to, which meant lots of showers, bachelorette parties, and basically tied up weekends. It was fun though, and I thoroughly enjoyed our first summer living together in our very own house! And because you must be wondering, my hair looked pretty darn good; it was really long and I had recently started highlighting it and spending lots of money getting it done at a fancy salon. Now, however, I’m addicted, and I know my husband wishes I had never started this expensive hair care kick I am on. I firmly believe, and to quote my two favorite radio gals Lori and Julia from FM 107.1, what a woman spends on her hair is ALWAYS justified, and there should be a firm “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy amongst couples as to this cost. It takes a lot of dollars and energy to look as good as we do, so a curt reply of, “You don’t want to know”, when asked how much something hair-related costs should be sufficient.

Note: Ok, I promise I’m done with the hair thing, I won’t talk about it any more in this post. I can’t believe I associate times of my life with how my hair looked, how shallow and vain can you be?

Yesterday... I woke up, as usual watched Buffy on FX while getting myself ready for the day, I drove to work and put in my 9 hours, came home to my snuggly puppy and husband, made dinner, ate dinner, went to Target for some birthday cards and to finally pick up my film (Bets, don’t worry I remember that you have dibs on doubles from the Florida trip), did the Mystic Tan thing in preparation for Kate’s wedding this weekend, brought home ice cream for Dan and I, watched the Lost episode that we taped last week (we never got to watch it this last season, so I was so excited when we caught the first episode in summer re-run, now we’re hooked!), and went to bed around 10:30. I live quite the exciting life.

Today... Well, it’s still mid-morning, so there’s not much to report. I just had an important meeting at work that went well, and my tan is looking fantastic from last night’s session. Also I feel pretty and skinny today, which means it’s going to be a good day! We have a family thing tonight for “June Birthdays” with my in-laws. Yipee.

Tomorrow... More of the same… commute, work, eat, work, commute, eat, laze around the house. I don’t work on Friday though, so tomorrow should be a good day since it is a faux-
Friday. Fridays and faux-Fridays both rock.

5 snacks I enjoy...
  1. Salty pretzels, I like to suck the salt off completely before actually consuming.
  2. Dan and I are big on the freezies right now (I think they’re actually called Flav-or-ice or something like that). They are only 25 calories and totally hit the spot when you’re craving something sweet.
  3. Ice cream cones from McDonalds, which is within walking distance from our house. They are so so so tasty and cheap. For me, summertime = ice cream.
  4. French fries. I love French fries so much, but I try not to eat them too much.
  5. Angel food cake with strawberries and whipped topping. Yummmm… the perfect summer desert.

5 songs I know all the words to...

I’m going old school on this one, because I am such a music dork and this is the kind of shit I love.

  1. “Baby Beluga” by Raffi
  2. “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-a-lot
  3. “Cherish” by Madonna
  4. “Sometimes” by Britney Spears
  5. “Hero” by Mariah Carey

5 things I would do with $100,000,000...

  1. Pay off mine and my husband’s stupid cars. I hate having car payments.
  2. Buy a whole crap load of designer clothing and shoes. Basically I’d go on a huge shopping spree, in New York City of course.
  3. Hire someone to come in and remodel our basement, our kitchen, and our bathroom upstairs. Oh, and landscaping people to tackle our yard, which looks like pure crap. God, it’s going to take forever for us to do all that ourselves.
  4. Quit my job. Definitely.
  5. Travel, travel, travel.

5 locations I would love to run away to...

  1. Cape Cod, Massachusetts
  2. New York City, New York
  3. Europe, ALL OF IT. I’d really love to go to Spain again, and Italy and Greece and Ireland and Switzerland and England and Germany…
  4. Rocky Mountains, Colorado
  5. Winona, Minnesota (But that would also require turning back time, because my college town is not as fun without all my old friends being there!)

5 things I like doing...

  1. Going to the movies, eating buttery popcorn, the two go hand and hand.
  2. Playing board games, especially Pictionary and Guestures. (“Is it a fetus? Epcot Center? Oh, it’s Beauty and the Beast!”)
  3. Snuggling
  4. Running
  5. Primping

5 things I would never wear...

  1. An N’SYNC t-shirt and overalls.
  2. Those shorts that were in this spring that go down to your knees, how are those flattering on ANYONE?!
  3. A scrunchie (I can't say I've never worn one, I did grow up in the 80's, but I can say that I will never wear one AGAIN.)
  4. Tapered jeans
  5. Matching knit outfits that old ladies wear at the office that for some reason pass off as “Business Casual” attire.

5 recently seen movies I like...

  1. “Star Wars. The Revenge of the Sith”
  2. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"
  3. “Team America: World Police”
  4. “Before Sunrise”
  5. “The Notebook”

5 famous people I'd like to meet...

  1. Britney Spears. How awesome would it be to meet her, in real life? All that skanky white-trashy-ness face-to-face!
  2. Katie Holmes. I would ask her what the hell she is doing with all this Tom Cruise debauchery.
  3. Jennifer Aniston. Because she’s beautiful and perfect and I want to be her… or at least get hair-care tips from her.
  4. Jared from Subway. I would like to meet him coming out of McDonalds with a Crispy Chicken Sandwich or some Chicken McNuggets, and I would yell and scream and call him a hypocrite. Have you seen that commercial where he’s talking smack about my favorite processed meats?
  5. Brad Pitt. So cliché, I know, but who wouldn’t want to see those incredible cheekbones and gorgeous blue eyes up close in person?

5 biggest joys of the moment...

  1. 4 day weekends
  2. An adorable puppy and husband to greet me coming home from work every day.
  3. Finishing painting the second floor of our house COMPLETELY! Yea!
  4. Having tan skin, even when it’s fake.
  5. The muffins from the cafeteria at work (give me blueberry, lemon poppy seed, banana-nut, I don’t care!) The tops are so delicious and crispy, exactly how a muffin should be.

5 favorite toys...

  1. My coffee maker at home, which I’ve just recently actually started to use. It makes much tastier coffee than the stuff I usually buy at work.
  2. Big Bumba, my curling iron. I would be lost without it.
  3. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer
  4. My credit card… hee!
  5. This kind of comes out of nowhere, but my paper/picture cutter thing. It makes scrafting (scrapbooking) a breeze.

Now I’m supposed to tag five other unsuspecting souls with this meme, however, I’m not sure there are 5 bloggers out there that actually read my blog on a regular basis! Well, here goes…

  1. Betsy, because you’re my friend, and a faithful reader.
  2. Liz, same reason.
  3. Erin, because your blog is so cute and if you by chance come here and see this, I think it’s actually likely that you’ll do it.
  4. Kelly, because she was my most recent comment from a stranger, and I love those!
  5. Sarah, because I like pink and I like shoes. ;)
  6. Special Runner-up: Angela, but she has a “secret” blog, and this is just another attempt to nag her into letting us in on the secret.

No comments: