Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2011

7 Posts

A blog meme!  How very, 2005 of me!

****

What this is about:

To unite bloggers (from all sectors) in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again.

Rules:
1) Blogger is nominated to take part
2) Blogger publishes his/her 7 links on his/her blog – 1 link for each category.
- Your most beautiful post
– Your most popular post
– Your most controversial post
– Your most helpful post
– A post whose success surprised you
– A post you feel didn’t get the attention it deserved
– The post that you are most proud of

3) Blogger nominates up to 5 more bloggers to take part.

4) These bloggers publish their 7 links and nominate another 5 more bloggers

5) And so it goes on!

6) The site Trip Base is sharing the best posts from participating bloggers on their blog and everyday on Facebook and Twitter at #My7Links

****

Alright, so Erin tagged me in this meme a few days ago and I felt quite honored, like I’m a real blogger or something.

But then I started to try to do it, and now am cursing Erin’s name (not really), because man, this was not an easy task. I’ve been reading through a lot of my old posts and having quite the trip down memory lane, but really most of what has been documented on this blog is so haphazard and nonsensical, not to mention the fact that my posting has been so sporadic over the course of, like 7 years. I mean, I talked A LOT about TV back in the day, it’s truly amazing to have such tangible evidence of how drastically my life changed when we had a child. Crazy. Like this post that I wrote when I was starting my MBA studies, in which I complain incessantly about how busy I was and how terrible it was that grad school was going to have such a drastic affect on my social life and television-watching habits. HA! Oh lady, you have no idea what’s in store for you in just a few short years! It’s honestly like reading something someone else wrote. Who is that crazy girl? She sure complained a lot about really ridiculous things like… static cling, tampons, her seemingly constant 9-5 funk, and hanging Christmas tree lights. I was just a barrel of joy. Jeez.

So now that I’ve sent you back to a lot of old things I wrote that actually make me cringe, I’ll try to complete this meme. I may have to make some modifications and break the rules a little, because I had a really hard time finding things that fit some of these categories. I clearly am NOT a real blogger, like I let myself believe for a few seconds there.

Most beautiful post

I should probably link to Gus’s birth story here, but I’m not going to. Because while lovely, it’s full of a lot of the gory details that I just can’t classify as “beautiful”.

Instead, I really like this one that I wrote last summer, in which I come across very… zen. It brings back such wonderful memories of our first year with baby Gus, it was a glorious summer, and, my goodness he was a delicious 10-month old. It’s short and sweet, but I love it.

 
Most popular post

At first I thought my method for choosing my “Most popular post” would be to find the one with the most comments from people that I don’t know in real life. So that would be this little ditty with lots of cute pictures of my 1 year old in a snowsuit at the tree farm, for which I received FOUR whole comments from “strangers”. Look at me, I am so popular!


But then I thought I would check my blog stats and see which post has the most page views of all time, and it is this ridiculousness that I wrote last winter, all about my search for the elusive, non-frumpy clog.  Clearly there are others out there like me, constantly on the lookout for sensible mom footwear that does not make you feel like a complete fashion “don’t”.  

A very close second in page views is this doozy in which I wallow about the poor start we got to 2011, via “The Sickness”.  Ahh man, those were some rough months.  But seriously, I wonder what brought so many random people to that specific post, is it because I mention Sister Wives?  Or do people just like to hear about others vomiting all over each other?  Very interesting…

Most controversial post

I am admittedly not very controversial on this here blog, I write what I feel, say what I think, but I am not out there preaching my opinions on things like politics, religion, or parenting. Even though yeah, like most people, I have some strong opinions.

Thus, I’m going to say my most controversial post is about the stealth pooper in my office a few years back. I’m saying this is controversial because I was being kind of snotty and judgy, especially about her white high tops, and I think talking about pooping at your workplace is somewhat uncouth and always going to be a little controversial.

Most helpful post

No idea. Literally none. I am not helpful, and don’t post anything informative for anyone else. I am totally selfish like that.

So instead, I’ll link you to my least interesting, most unhelpful post, in which I ramble about Lost. Yes, the TV show. I told you, I wrote a lot about TV back in the day. Oh those were the days…



A post whose success surprised me


I think this post triggered a lot of good discussion amongst people I’m close to, and I still stand by it. I think every new mother should embrace her instincts and disregard any unwanted piece of advice from other people that just doesn’t sit well with her. You are the mom, OWN IT. You know your kid best, you know your family best, and you need to stand up for what you believe in. And then… be flexible, throw out any preconceived notions about motherhood that you had. Because your former twenty-something self was probably an ass hole. (No offense.)



A post I feel didn’t get the attention it deserved


I don’t know how to judge this at all. Clearly I do not have a popular blog with a plethora of readers that is updated frequently, so this is really just impossible to answer. Plus, back in the early days of blogging I used Haloscan for commenting, which, I have no idea what happened to it, but I swear it was the thing back then. When I got rid of it, I lost all those lovely comments, so it looks like basically I had no one reading back then. But I swear I did. My friends mostly, but still.

Instead, let’s break the rules again, and I will give you this post I wrote about one of the most wonderful people in the whole world. I was missing her like crazy back then because she went and moved to Costa Rica for three years, and she was making a trip back for the holidays and I just couldn’t wait to see her. So, because I love her, and I love that I happened upon this when I was reading through my archives, here is my little ode to Lisa, the best friend a girl could ask for.


The post I am most proud of


Of course I’m talking about my poor sleeper of a son, and the years of sleep deprivation he has already brought us, because really that has been probably the toughest part of parenting so far. But it’s not insurmountable, because he is my child. I brought him here, I am the grown up and he relies on me for safety, stability, love. And I will do everything I can to provide him with those things, just as any parent would.


Edited to add............

Oops!  I forgot to tag people.  I don't think I'm going to actually, because I'm a rule breaker.  If you feel like doing it friends, go for it, I would love to read it! 

3 comments:

Erin said...

Haaa, I just loved this. Seriously hilarious on so many levels. I LOVED reading back in some of your archives. I seriously had the same thoughts about school. My god, it was just torturous for me to be taken away from my beloved TV and celebrity gossip blogs! Which I can't even read anymore because... guess what, no time to watch TV! Like, even less than before, and somehow I'm okay!

Your stealth pooper post.... awesome. I can totally relate, except we have a private bathroom, THANK GOD. I needed to have that laugh as I just puked in that very bathroom this morning. That was a milestone I didn't need to experience, AT ALL.

I remember both your "my way" and "we just do" posts - some of my very favorites from your blog - which is just as much a REAL BLOG as anyones :) So glad you did this, if nothing else, it made my whole day :)

Julia Goolia said...

Those high tops and the stealth pooper post are freaking badass!!

val said...

Oh, Alicia, very fun. I loved this. Thank you. love, Val

p.s. On my blog, the post that gets hits every day from all over the world?

Bob the Nudist.

Today it was Belfast and Singapore.

They never come back a second time. Obviously they don't want to read dumb kid stories about barbie dolls.

Scary world, lol, and yet amusing.

love you, Val