Friday, April 27, 2012

Week in the Life: Wednesday

Another work day.  Hump day!

On Wednesdays I drop the kids off at my mom's, so there's no Dan around to help get everyone out of the house.  Last night was not a great night of sleep for Louie and me, which means I get up late and don't have time to shower.  I am less concerned about this than I probably should be.  ;)

Gus is up when I get out of bed at 6:00, hanging out with Dan in the kitchen, watching Curious George.  Darn it, he may be sleeping better these days but he's getting up WAY earlier.  It's always a trade-off with kids and sleep, isn't it?  Dan leaves, so I bring Gus down to the basement where I get ready and he watches more TV and plays.  Yeah, more television.  That's just how it's got be on mornings like this.

Louie is awake upstairs soon after I start getting ready, but he's cooing and kicking around, so I don't rush to get him.  I realize how little time I have, and pretty much do the bare minimum to be office-friendly.  Teeth.  Face.  Minimal make-up.  Deodorant.  Clean clothes.

Funny thing is that since I didn't shower, and my hair was straightened yesterday, I am actually running early, despite waking up late.

I get slippers on Gus and Louie's diaper changed (I attempt to nurse him, but he never really wants to nurse right away in the morning once he's really up, and we did that at 6:00 anyway), and we're out the door by 6:40.  I marvel at how I manged that.

I decide that since my mom won't be expecting us until at the earliest, 7:00, we have time to stop and get a morning treat!  I mention donuts to Gus, and of course he is game.

We drive down our neighborhood's Main street about 2 minutes from my house and the bakery that I was planning on stopping at doesn't open until 7:00.  I find that really annoying.

I decide to stop at the little coffee shop just down the road, hoping they'll have something.  I start to drop hints to Gus that he might be getting a muffin instead of a doughnut, not knowing what they'll have at this little hole-in-the-wall place, I feel like it's probably a good idea to prepare him for this potential change so we can avoid a tantrum in public.

I haul my two boys out of the car (I cannot believe I decided to take on a little errand that involves so much in-and-out of car seats after such little sleep) and we make our way in.

 Yes, Gus is still in his pajamas and slippers.  He doesn't seem to mind, and sending clothes/shoes in the bag to grandma's certainly saves us a lot of time and trouble in the morning.

They have both muffins AND donuts.  Yay!  He picks out a chocolate doughnut with sprinkles, and I pick two more, one for my mom and one for me, and of course get myself a large dark roast coffee.

Gus dances around talking about my hot coffee, talking to the one other patron, an older gentleman sitting on a couch reading the paper.  He indulges my spunky toddler at such an early hour and smiles and talks to him while I add cream and sugar.

Once the kids are at my moms (and I have woken my mom up) I am off to work.

Same old, same old.  Not going to go into any details about my actual job.  1.)  It would be boring, and 2.)  that just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

 I do cut up my pear mid-morning for a snack.  And for lunch I have my free Subway from yesterday.

Dan and I are both taking off early today to drive out to his brother's house and snuggle their new baby, so I finally get out of the office at 1:00-ish, after pumping for the second time.  (I was supposed to be there at 1:00.  I am an annoying person.)

From 1:30 to about 3:00 we hold the baby and catch up with the new parents.  Well, not necessarily new, this is their third baby boy, so these two are old hat at this stuff!  This visit makes me a little wistful for the newborn days, but also so thankful we're through all that post-partum stuff.  Goodness, less than four months ago that was us, amazing how quickly the time passes!

John picked up some random snacks since he knew we were coming by.  I haven't had a Swiss cake role since probably 8th grade!  This is quite a treat!  

I pick up Louie and Gus on my way home, normally I don't get to do pick up because I'm at work, and this gives Dan a chance to go get an oil change.  The boys are both sleeping when I get there, and Louie took his longest nap ever at my mom's, about two whole hours!

Louie is loving this purple blanket my mom made a year ago for some woman at work's little baby girl.  Clearly she never gave it to her.  (Gracious me, look at those big blue eyes.)

 It is SUCH a gorgeous evening, our house feels super stuffy when I walk in the door and I immediately open all the windows on the first floor.

Then I start on throwing something together for dinner.  It's going to be really random tonight, because there was no planning involved, and there are no leftovers in the refrigerator.

 I cut up a pineapple that needs to be eaten.

Gus pulls out a bunch of play-doh and begs me to make a snake (clearly I have amazing play-doh skills), so I take a break from dinner prep and play with him for a few minutes.

Then I whip up some grilled cheese sandwiches.

And steam some green beans.

And that is dinner.  Grilled cheese.  Pineapple.  Green beans.  Yeah. 

Louie starts to get really fussy during dinner, I can tell he's tired again.  That kid is always tired.  Babies.  So I strap him in the Babyhawk and the two boys and I head out down the street with Gus on his trike.  Dan wants to put together this new bench/storage thing we got for all of the outdoor toys that are taking over our porch and backyard.

 We pick dandelions and get pretty sweaty because it really is WAY hot.  Louie falls asleep immediately.

I teach Gus to blow on the fluffy dandelions and make a wish. He is obsessed, searching out every one he can find, and closing his eyes when he "makes a wish". 

I love sweet nights like this, but I'm also really exhausted, and pretty much am trying to force myself to enjoy it.  I really wish I had the energy of my two year old.     

Gus is excited about the new toy chest when we get home.

And also excited to hang out with daddy.  Dan, I think, is just grateful I got him out of his hair long enough to build it. 

I am excited to get Louie out of the carrier and take off some clothes because I've got some insane swoobs (sweaty boobs) action happening.

A much less crabby Louie (after his cat nap on our walk) and I snuggle in bed a bit.  I decide I should give him a bath tonight, since it's been a week.  I know.  Weekly baths.  I am terrible!  In my defense, he had really sensitive and dry skin up until about a month ago.  He used to get a rash every time I bathed him, so we started to do it less and less until it somehow became once a week.  I'm sure that will change as the weather gets warmer, and Louie gets more mobile so there are more chances for him to get dirty.

Both kids get baths and head to bed.  After which it's the typical weeknight fun... dishes, cleaning, daycare bag, beer, snack, a little TV, then bed.  Bedtime keeps pushing out for Dan and I because even though we both are super tired, it's just the only time we get to really relax and spend time just the two of us.  Unfortunately we're usually both regretting these late nights it in the morning.   


Mama in the City said...

It is amazing how much one can actually get done going on so little sleep!

Erin said...

Haa, I can't believe you're already wistful for the newborn days :) I feel it might take me years to get to that point! I can TOTALLY relate to forcing yourself to enjoy moments but really just being too tired to do so. It's sad, but then I remind myself that we will all sleep again and have time to ourselves in like 5 years. And then we can look back at photos and reminisce about the "best days of our lives" :)

Heather said...

Until Tory started eating solids, I only bathed her 1-2 times a week also. Not so much for lack of time (because she's my only child) but because I didn't think she needed it either and her head would become really dry otherwise. I don't think there's anything wrong with weekly baths for L :)

Freckles said...

Love these, love these, love these!! You are totally super mom. And as for the baths, we are not nightly bath people by any means. I'm not going to lie...I occasionally wake up (more than occasional) without enough time to shower. In fact, my hair looks much nicer when it's not washed every day. It gets too dry and brittle. TMI? Probably. Looking forward to reading about Thursday in just a second...

Navigating the Mothership said...

I'm so glad you went for it with these posts. I so appreciate getting a full peek into another mom of two's life. It's all so familiar and reassuring.